Highway Call for Projects
UPDATE (October 5, 2012) The Highway Call for Projects is now closed. The list of projects approved for funding by the TA Board is HERE (PDF, 99KB)
Highway Program Call for Projects
The San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA) is opening a Call for Projects for the Measure A Highway Program. The projected available funding is $104 million for this cycle. Applications will be due to the TA by 4 p.m. June 29, 2012.
Based on the Short Range Highway Plan (SRHP) adopted in October 2011, funds from both the 1988 and 2004 Measure A Highway Programs will be programmed through this single call for projects.
The Highway Program is focused on projects which remove bottlenecks in the most congested commute corridors; and reduce congestion and improve throughput along critical congested commute corridors.
UPDATE (August 2, 2012)
The schedule for the Highway Call for Projects has changed. The original schedule anticipated action at the Sept. 6, 2012 Transportation Authority Board of Directors meeting. Under the revised schedule, the TA Board will receive draft funding recommendations at its September meeting, with expected action at its Oct. 4, 2012 meeting.
Kickoff Meeting (Application Workshop) at SamTrans+
|May 17, 2012 3:00 p.m.|
Call for Projects Issued
|May 24, 2012|
Statement of Interest due
|June 1, 2012 4:00 p.m.|
Project Applications due
|June 29, 2012 4:00 p.m.|
Certified Governing Board Resolutions due
|July 27, 2012|
TA CAC – Draft funding recommendations – information item*+
|Sept. 4, 2012|
|TA Board - Draft funding recommendations – information item*+||Sept. 6, 2012|
TA CAC – Final funding recommendations – review*+
Oct. 2, 2012
TA Board - Final funding list – approval*+
Oct. 4, 2012
*Dates subject to change, in accordance with the TA Board schedule.
A total of $104 million is available for this cycle through three funding tracks: 1988 Measure A, 2004 Measure A Key Congested Areas and 2004 Measure Supplemental Roadways. See the table below for the funding breakdown.
Estimated Funding Breakdown for Highway Program Cycle 1 Call for Projects
|Funding Track||Available funds|
1988 Measure A (Original Measure A)
2004 Measure A - Key Congested Areas
2004 Measure A - Supplemental Roadways
Total funds available:
Pre-construction phases such as planning, design and environmental clearance; right of way and construction are eligible. Maintenance and rehabilitation projects are not eligible. All applicants will be required to provide a Governing Board resolution in support of the project.
The specific eligibility for each funding track is described below.
Original Measure A
Eligibility is limited to projects listed in the 1988 Expenditure Plan which are actively progressing.
Key Congested Areas (KCA)
Eligibility is restricted to the 11 projects within the five KCAs as specified in the SRHP.
Supplemental Roadways (SR)
Any project not eligible for the KCA is eligible for the SR category as long as it is intended to reduce congestion and improve throughput along critical congested commute corridors. While there is a list of SR candidate projects included in the SRHP, this list is not exhaustive and inclusion as a candidate project does not imply any priority.
Click here to see the Eligible Project List (PDF, 56KB). Note that projects not shown on this list may be eligible as well.
- Applicants are requested to submit a non-binding Statement of Interest via email to the TA by Friday, June 1, 2012 at 4 p.m. The Statement of Interest would list the projects, funding and technical assistance requests which the applicant will potentially submit for this Call for Projects. This would help the TA anticipate the level of effort needed to support this first cycle Call for Projects.
- Applications for the Highway Call for Projects are due by Friday, June 29, 2012 at 4 p.m. A simplified application form is available for preliminary planning or Project Initiation Documents (PID) phases only.
- Governing Board resolutions from the sponsor agency in support of the project application are due by July 27, 2012.
Forms, Guidelines and Reference Materials
- Statement of Interest form (.XLS, 35KB)
- Application form for Highway Program (.DOC, 317KB)
- Simplified Application form for Preliminary Planning/PID only (.DOC, 265KB)
- Sample Governing Board Resolution (.DOC, 39KB)
- Non-Supplantation of Funds Certification (.DOC, 44KB)
- Guidelines for Highway Program Cycle 1 Call for Projects (PDF, 141KB)
- Eligible Project List (PDF, 56KB)
- May 17 kickoff meeting presentation (PDF, 155KB)
- Short Range Highway Plan (PDF, 217KB)
- 1988 Measure A Expenditure Plan (PDF, 1.62MB)
- 2004 Measure A Expenditure Plan (PDF, 237KB)
Accessibility note: The Word documents on this page are required by state and/or federal regulations but can be provided in an accessible form upon request.
For More Information
Applicants are encouraged to contact TA early in the application process to discuss proposed project(s) and/or obtain assistance with project planning and completion of the applications.
Please direct any questions regarding the Measure A Highway Program Call for Projects to Celia Chung at 650-508-6466 or email@example.com
5/24/12 - cc