Automated Vehicles (AV) are rapidly emerging as a transformative technology with the potential to revolutionize various sectors of transportation. From personal vehicles to shuttles, transit, freight, delivery and more, automation will reshape mobility in San Mateo County. Recognizing this potential, the San Mateo County Transportation Authority (SMCTA) and City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) are working together to develop the San Mateo Countywide Automated Vehicles Strategic Plan.
The SMCTA and C/CAG are co-sponsoring a Strategic Plan coupled with a five year action plan to prepare for the advent of AV in San Mateo County. The plan will include strategies and recommendations for the prioritization of AV pilots, projects, and activities that align with the federal, state, and local visions for AV deployment to improve connectivity and mobility.
- SMCTA (Implementing Agency and Co-Sponsor)
- C/CAG (Co-Sponsor)
- Identify current local, statewide, and federal policy and regulatory frameworks for AV
- Establish a shared vision for AV deployment that aligns with county and state objectives
- Identify opportunities and challenges for AV deployment and pilot projects
- Prioritize next steps for implementing AV Strategic Plan initiatives
- Phase 1 (Summer 2023): Identify the existing AV programs at the county, state, and federal levels through research and conversation with stakeholders, and local and state agencies
- Phase 2 (Fall 2023): Using stakeholder and public feedback, develop a framework for AV pilot programs, projects, and activities that align with County policies, plans, and funding opportunities
- Phase 3 (Winter 2023): Prepare the draft San Mateo AV Strategy, incorporating the feedback received from the public, stakeholders, and agencies
- Public Workshop (To be scheduled in Fall 2023) Check back soon for more details!
- Towards an Autonomous Future in San Mateo County Virtual Workshop (November 17, 2021)
- Draft Existing Conditions Report - August 2023
For more information or questions, please email email@example.com